Top 10 Fun Ways to Shop + Cook with Kids:
10. Mean Green Cleaning Machine. Let them wash fruits and veggies when preparing foods for cooking or eating.
9. Pick A Peck! When shopping, let them select a new fruit or vegetable to try … or several!
8. Make It Snappy! Let them snap the green beans, snap peas or break the flowerets from the broccoli or cauliflower.
7. I Spy! Play “I Spy” in the produce section when grocery shopping.
6. Tear It Up! Let them tear the lettuce for salads and sandwiches.
5. Measure Up! Let them measure the frozen vegetables before cooking them.
4. Peel & Slice. Older children can peel and slice carrots, cucumbers, potatoes and others. They now sell colorful, kid-friendly peelers.
3. Stir & Spice. Make applesauce from fresh apples. Let them help stir and add the cinnamon.
2. A Sprinkle A Day… Let them smell and then sprinkle herbs and spices onto vegetables.
1. Monster Mash! Pull out the potato masher and let the kids mash away.
Adapted from Fruits & Veggies More Matters