My colleague pointed out this Cauliflower Crust Pizza recipe she found on pinterest and I knew right away it was going to be a winner. Cheesy, crispy cauliflower… warm tomato sauce… veggies. Yum! The recipe that caught our eye was posted here (where Beth took much better photos than I did… just look at that crust!) but the original idea came from here.
I made the pizza several times with a few variations. The way I like it best is chock full of veggies including mushrooms and onions. Some people add cheese to the actual crust and then more as a topping but I like it best added it to the crust only to save room for my veggies. Personal choice. This pizza would be great served as an appetizer or small plate at a dinner party.
- 1¼ cups riced cauliflower* (1/2 large head cauliflower)
- 1 cup shredded non-dairy cheese (one that melts well like mozzarella)
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place riced cauliflower into a medium bowl and microwave for 6 minutes. Using pot holders, remove from microwave.
- Add cheese and flax eggs to cauliflower bowl and mix well. Stir in basil and garlic. Place on baking sheet and form into a 9-inch round using a spatula or your hands.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add sauce and toppings to crust. Broil for 7-10 additional minutes, depending on toppings you may need to broil longer. Enjoy!
*To rice the cauliflower, remove stems and leaves and chop florets into chunks. Place in food processor and pulse until grainy and course (be careful not to over-process or it will become soft and pureed). You can also grate using a cheese grater if you don’t have a food processor.
P. S. Heading to Costa Rica in a couple of days! Super excited. Ever been? Any tips or recommendations?