With basil and pine nuts, this creamy plant-based pesto lends itself to classic pesto flavors with a twist. Traditional pesto is made with basil, olive oil, pine nuts and parmesan cheese but we’ve created our own oil-free pesto! It is plant-loving and free of extracted oils, yet still rich and creamy. Not only does this pesto contain whole foods, but it is packed with fiber-boosting broccoli you can’t even taste. The secret ingredient is the wonderful calorie dense avocado, which brings all the flavors together and adds a wonderful silky green color and texture.
This Creamy Avocado Pesto coats pasta wonderfully but is also extremely versatile. For a lower calorie meal, try adding your favorite steamed veggies to the pasta. You can even use this oil-free pesto as a creamy dip for raw or roasted veggies or as a baked potato topping. Feel free to get creative. Enjoy!
- 12 ounces uncooked pasta (we prefer gluten-free spirals)
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed or frozen and thawed
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons water (or more as needed)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain, and set aside.
- In a food processor (or blender) combine thawed broccoli, garlic granules, avocado, basil, lemon juice and water. Add more water as needed to help process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss pasta with pesto sauce until well incorporated. Top off dish with pine nuts, black pepper and fresh basil. Serve hot or chilled.