Thanksgiving in sneaking up on us. I’ve been seeing plenty of turkey, stuffing, and potatoes recipes flying around but not too many veggie recipes, at least the non-starchy ones. And sure, there might me a green salad on the Thanksgiving table but sometimes my palate is looking for more.
This festive slaw recipe won’t disappoint. It’s crispy, fresh, and tasty and has a practical use for eating – it’ll help wash down all the other food because it’s packed with fiber. What makes this dish special is the sweet vinaigrette and apple slices. These ingredients help bring out the natural sweetness in the carrots and beets. I used green cabbage because it’s mild in taste and also has a subtle sweetness to it.
This dish does call for some prepping but the good news is there’s no cooking! I bought the green cabbage pre-shredded and then I shredded the carrot and beets using a hand grater. To make things easier, you could buy the cabbage and carrots pre-shredded or use a food processor set to the shred option.
- FESTIVE SLAW
- 2 beets, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 ounces green cabbage, shredded (Napa or Savoy)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- CHAMPAGNE VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- Peel and grate beets and carrot and place in a large bowl. Shred cabbage and add to large bowl.
- Combine oil, vinegar, honey, and mustard in a small bowl and whisk. Add garlic and salt and pepper as needed and whisk again.
- Place beets, carrots, and cabbage onto serving dish. Top with apple slices and vinaigrette immediately before serving. Enjoy!