Superbowl is next Sunday. Who are you rooting for? I’m going with the Denver Broncos. Broncos running back, Knowshon Moreno, went to my high school. Jersey boy. Small world. Despite a recent rib injury, he is expected to play in this year’s Superbowl.
Okay, let’s talk food. Superbowl Sunday finger food idea –> Wonton Cups! I know what you’re thinking – wontons.. for football? Hear me out. These little guys are bite-size, so simple to make, and delicious. You just line a muffin pan with the wonton, stuff them with pretty much anything, and bake them up in minutes. Everyone loves these hot finger-food appetizers.
You should be able to find gluten-free wonton wrappers at a natural health food store or online but if you can’t, you can always make your own. Here is a simple recipe for Gluten-Free Homemade Wontons.
- 8 store-bought wonton wrappers (gluten-free available)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large portobello mushroom (about 4 ounces), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a mini-muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Gently press wonton wrappers into muffin cups. Bake for 7 minutes or until lightly golden. Heat oil in a small skillet. Add mushrooms, lemon juice, salt and pepper; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add mustard and chives and mix well.
- To assemble cups, spoon in about a teaspoon of the mushroom mixture per cup. Serve warm.
For a different variation, try my Guacamole Wonton Cups.