Watermelon is the perfect ingredient for a sweeter-style salsa. The two star ingredients in this salsa, though, are really the spicy Padrón pepper and the mint. The pepper adds a nice punch and the mint gives it complexity and pairs so well with sweet watermelon. Most Padrón peppers fall on the mild and sweet side but not all. The ones I picked up at the farmers’ market this morning were definitely spicy. And a little heat is what this salsa needs.
One thing I definitely recommend doing is straining the watermelon after chopping it to remove the excess juice.
- 2 cups seedless watermelon, finely chopped
- ¼ large onion, finely chopped
- 2 Padrón peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- a few pinches of sea salt (optional)
- After finely chopping watermelon, strain for 1 minute to remove excess juice.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!